We are paying something for nothing. The mandatory accident benefits policy in Ontario provides minimal coverage for the vast number of people injured in car crashes. Presently, over 90% of victims are restricted to payment of a maximum of $3,500.00. They are forced by law to pay hundreds if not thousands of dollar PER YEAR for this coverage.
Ask yourself. Would you voluntarily pay $1,000.00...Read More
The Ontario Trial Lawyers Association has prepared a series of blogs identifying current issues with the recent budget and how it impacts people injured by Motor vehicles. Please read the full blog here. http://otlablog.com/hidden-costs-of-the-provincial-budget/
Part One of a Three-Part Series on the 2015 Ontario Budget
Last month, the Ontario Liberal government revealed its latest budget...Read More
Ontario auto insurance: How much worse can things get for victims?
Changes in 2010 created windfall profits for insurers by slashing coverage for the vast majority.
We need to restore fairness and impose a moratorium on further reductions in coverage!
In September 2010, the Ontario government introduced sweeping changes to auto insurance in response to pressure from the insurance industry to...Read More
The following article appears in the Law Times
In response to complaints that insurance industry financial details are impossible to pin down, the Ministry of Finance commissioned a report on transparency and accountability in the sector but perhaps surprisingly chose the accountants for the Insurance Bureau of Canada to prepare it.
On April 14, the interim report became the first of three...Read More
The recent election call has terminated Bill 171 for now.
For those who do not know, Bill 171 proposed legislation which, amongst other things, would have eliminated the right of people to sue their insurance companies for breach of contract in automobile first party benefits claims. In other words, if passed, no one in Ontario could sue their insurer for breaching their obligations under the...Read More
The recent case of Scarlett v. Belair Insurance Decision Date: 2013-03-26, Adjudicator: John Wilson, Regulation: 34/10, Decision: Arbitration, Preliminary Issue, FSCO 3965 is the first reported Minor Injury Guideline (MIG) case.
The gist of the decisions stand for the proposition that injured insureds should not be required to take extraordinary steps, or be forced to make leaps and bounds to...Read More
The recent case of Scarlett v. Belair, FSCO A12-00107, is important more for what it demonstrates in terms of the state of automobile first party insurance benefits in Ontario at the present time, than as an analysis of the application of the Minor Injury Guideline in the legal context.
They key factors that support this contention are:
1. The amount of time it took Mr. Scarlett to obtain a...Read More
From the Hamilton Spectator
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada have a new commander.
Lieutenant-Colonel Lawrence Hatfield took charge of the regiment in a rainy parade celebration at Bayfront Park Sunday, succeeding Lieutenant-Colonel Gary Sexton.
“I’m very privileged today,” Hatfield said. “Our history is time-honoured, written in battle and blood.”
The Argyll and Sutherland...Read More
Social Justice: Superintendent cloaks policy issue as science on catastrophic impairment
Monday, September 10, 2012 | Written by Alan Shanoff | Law Times
The superintendent’s report on the definition of catastrophic impairment in the statutory accident benefits...Read More
TORONTO, June 12, 2012 /CNW/ – The Ontario government is about to implement another round of cuts to auto insurance benefits, this time slashing coverage for devastating injuries.
“If the government goes ahead with this, it will hurt a lot of very vulnerable people,” says Nick Gurevich, President of the Alliance of Community Medical and Rehabilitation Providers.